This page will documenting my journey of saying no to straws. Although I have been doing this for a while, I have decided to keep, and document, all the straws I end up with I didn’t want. I thought it would be interesting to see over the course of one year (15th Feb 2017 – 14th Feb 2018) how many straws I get. Each one will have a story as to how and why I got it. I may even make something with them at the end!
- 19th Feb 17, thin red and white stripes. From a resort in Montezuma, Costa Rica. They had a sign stating “straws on request”, I commented on this and congratulated them for being so forward thinking, my cocktail then arrived with this! When challenged the staff member explained that I “needed” something to stir it with!! I expressed my disappointment.
- 26th Feb 17, white. From a hotel in Carate, Costa Rica. Asked for no straw in our smoothies and commented that we had our own. Staff forgot as so automatic!
- 8th April 17, yellow. From our driver on Phu Quoc island, Vietnam. He bought us a coconut water in a whole coconut without asking. It came with a straw! Just after visiting the Bee Farm where they make their own straws from bamboo, which we bought. The irony of this straw was wonderful!
- 14th April 17, pink and white strips bendy. A very local vegetarian restaurant in Hue, Vietnam. The waiter indicated he understood we had our own straws, which we showed him, but he had not.
- 16th April 17, pink and bendy. Welcome drink at hotel in Hanoi. Had even looked at the person checking in before us and they did not have a straw in their drinks so thought we were safe.
- 30th April 17, black. Already placed in a glass, put at each place setting for us to make our own cocktails at the Bompass & Parr “Kill it, Eat it workshop”.