How it all started
This page documented my year journey of saying no to straws. Although I had been doing this for a while, I decided to keep, and document, all the straws I ended up with. I thought it would be interesting to see over the course of one year (17th Feb 2017 – 16th Feb 2018) how many straws I got. Each one has a story as to how and why I got it. For more information about the issue with straws, check out my original post that inspired this page.
- 19th Feb 17, thin red and white stripes. From a resort in Montezuma, Costa Rica. They had a sign stating “straws on request”, I commented on this and congratulated them for being so forward thinking, my cocktail then arrived with a straw! When challenged the staff member explained that I “needed” something to stir it with!! I expressed my disappointment.
- 26th Feb 17, white. Hotel in Carate, Costa Rica. Asked for no straw in our smoothies and commented that we had our own. Staff forgot as so automatic!
- 8th April 17, yellow. From our driver on Phu Quoc island, Vietnam. He bought us a coconut water in a whole coconut without asking. It came with a straw! This was just after visiting the Bee Farm where they make their own straws from bamboo, which we bought. The irony of this straw was wonderful!
- 14th April 17, pink and white strips, bendy. A very local vegetarian restaurant in Hue, Vietnam. The waiter indicated he understood we had our own straws, which we showed him, but he had not.
- 16th April 17, pink and bendy. Welcome drink at hotel in Hanoi. The person checking in before us did not have a straw in their welcome drink so I thought it was safe.
- 30th April 17, black. Already placed in a glass at each place setting for making our own cocktails. At a Bompass & Parr workshop, London.
- 21st June 17, clear. Bar / restaurant in central London near City Point, requested no straw at bar but there was a miscommunication between the staff. Forgot to keep the straw in my annoyance.
- 25th June 17, clear x2. Free range chicken shop in Brixton. Total fail we forgot to ask for no straw! Not the staff’s fault.
9. 6th September 17 – black. Cocktail at a very (otherwise) ethical restaurant. The waitress who took the order and bar staff fulfilled my request, then the waiter who brought me the drink thought the straw had been missed so added it! During zero waste week too, oh the irony. Lead to a great discussion with the staff about why I didn’t want a straw and why I was keeping it.
10. 7th October 17 – Smirnoff Twizzle stick. I don’t normally include other drink disposable bits on this page. The irony of this one was that the boat we were on had replaced all their plastic straws with metal ones BUT still had disposable twizzle sticks!! And the metal straw actually had a built in stirring paddle at the bottom, so the stick was not even functional!
11. 16th February 2018 – black thin, short. Vegetarian restaurant in Brighton, got this with our sharing dessert! Asked the waitress and she explained that they had transitioned to paper straws in drinks three weeks ago but these small ones were part of the stock they were still using up.
1 year of no straws